Saturday, August 16, 2008

Rome to Collonges-sous-Saléve

Writing this Saturday night from the girl's dormitory office on the Campus Adventiste of Collonges-sous-Saléve, France. 44 years after I left France, Vonnie and I have explored my old school together - even attending church services this morning with me translating a fascinating sermon by a lady, the secretary of the school of theology here. It has been a wonderful day!

But, of course there are stories to tell of the journey. Only our children and Harold Rich, Milton First Elder, have heard directly from us about the pick-pockets who cut off Vonnie's pouch with all her ID in it - while we were on the way to the Athens Airport. Obviously we have continued to travel (since we are here, now), but in between, there was a one-night delay in the airport with basically no decent sleep. When we arrived at our rental room in Rome, just after noon the next day, we could only go out in the evening - after a long nap!

The morning of the next day, Tuesday, Vonnie obtained a new, temporary, passport at the Embassy/Consulate. But that afternoon and evening, we did our exploration, visiting the famous Trevi Fountains, the Pantheon, the Mamertine prison where Paul was emprisoned, and the Colosseum. That evening we visited a wonderful plazza, Novanno Plaza?, and enjoyed the music and the street artists. Amazingly, we met a woman from southern California who went to church with a family very dear to us! We, all three, were standing in awe that God could bring us together amidst the thousands and thousands prowling the streets as tourists.

On our final day, we visited the Vatican and saw the main basilica, the Church of Saint Peter. I was reminded that church building projects are often filled with emotional trauma. The building of St. Peter's was no exception. In fact, it split the western, Christian church! How? When the Pope of Luther's day started selling pre-paid forgiveness warrents (indulgences) to pay for the construction, Luther led out in what became known as the Reformation.

Two sad things happened when we left St. Peters. The Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel with Michaelangelo's ceiling frescos was closed. One day later, we discovered that our camera memory card had "crashed" and we lost (so far) all our photos from that day and part of the next.

This included when we flew over the coast of Italy and over the French-Italian Alps, with Mont Blanc right underneath us. Perhaps someone can help us retrieve the data, but for the moment we are grieving that loss, in addition to the lost days due to the stolen passport.

We flew to Geneva on Baboo Airlines. "FlyBaboo" is their slogan! It is a 4-year old airline out of Geneva flying smaller, commuter airplanes, but believe me, it was a fantastic flight with wonderful service. We were able to use a promotional price, but we suspect the regular fares will still make them very competitive.

In Geneva, we rented a car and drove back into northern Italy - through the famous Mont Blanc Tunnel. Pricey, but absolutely wonderful. We arrived in Turin, looking for directions, when a storm broke. I raced through the first drops into a bus terminal to ask for help when it suddenly scared us all. Even the local fellow was shaking his arm saying, "Mama mia!" Strange, strange hail - more like ice chunks than marbles. And wind! Whew! When they helped locate our street, I had to wade up to my ankles just out the front entrance to our rental car and Vonnie who was sitting in awe hoping she wouldn't be washed or blown away.

The hotel, with a front door on the 4th floor (3rd floor in Italy), was lovely. We struggled to get away what with doing some planning online for the final leg of our journey to the UK.

When we did, we drove the hour or so to the Waldensian valleys: Val Pellici and Agrogna. With the skies still threatening, and sometimes delivering, we arrived to an area on full summer break. Nothing was open, but we did visit some amazing sites of Waldensian history. We've included a couple of photos, including one of me in front of the statue of their warrior pastor who helped reconquer the valley in the 1600s so the survivors of the crusade and massacres could return from exile.

At our last stop of the day, high on the side of a valley, we met a Waldensian family from Missouri, coming back to visit their family roots. Together we found a small museum there, open, honoring the Waldensian women who through the ages have been spiritual leaders. We both want to learn more.

When they started the 1/2 hour walk to the infamous cave where the anti-Waldensian crusaders built fires at the entrances and suffocated everybody inside, we had to turn back towards France. With the freeway system through Mont Blanc, we arrived at the girls dorm on the Adventist Campus just at 8 as the sun was setting Friday night.

This Sabbath morning, we went to a part of the Bible study and then for the church service. Wonderful, as I reported above. In the afternoon, we had the privilege of driving up the side of the Salève mountain, onto the broad "ridge". It remains as beautiful as when I explored it in 1964-1966. But to do it again with Vonnie by my side! This "impossible dream" came true today.

Tomorrow we take a train from Geneva to Paris, and then from Paris to Calais. After a night there, we will cross the English Channel, or La Manche, on a ferry, and use our BritRail passes to reach Leeds. After a day exploring York (that's OLD York, not New York), we will travel on to Edinburgh for two nights, and finally our retreat in a cottege on the little islet of Seil off the western coast of Scotland.

We have entered the final half of our sabbatical and we will eventually be flying back to the Walla Walla Airport and Milton-Freewater. I hear we will find two wonderful changes at Milton Church: a new platform, inaugerated by Jaime Jorge this same Sabbath, and a remodeled, Fellowship Hall kitchen. What wonderful leaders to have kept our church family focused and growing while we have been away.

Bed-time calls! And I need to add the photos. God bless you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Papalopogus! I can't imagine a WORSE time for your camera chip to die! The wretchedness! It's a good thing I have a million pictures of the Vatican. I will have to try & find the negatives so that I can make you two some copies.

I'm so sad to hear you didn't get to go the Vatican museum & the Sistine chapel! Those were two places that were extraordinary! It reminds me of when Lizette and I traveled out to Versailles on a Monday only to find out the ONLY day Versailles is closed is Monday & we were leaving France the very next day. Such a let down!

I do hope you were able to buy a new camera chip so that you can continue to document your progress! Have you downloaded all your pictures onto your computer as you go so that you only lost those two(ish) days? I do hope so!

I loved your pictures of the oldest ruins in Rome and also Trevi fountain! I remember those places so clearly! Did you happen to go into the bathroom in those old Rome ruins? I have a picture of me (fully clothed) laughing as I stand on the little footholds with the hole beneath me. I was so shocked that this was how they envisioned a bathroom should function. (lol!)

Also, what an amazing place to have dinner! Where was that! I'm sure you felt the history wrapping itself around you as you dined under candle light.

That storm certainly sounds dramatic! I'm happy neither you nor mom were injured!

Finally, I remember hearing stories of you climbing the saleve mountains and how powerful that view/experience was for you as a teen! I'm sure it was almost surreal to have mommy there with you!

I love you both so much! No trip as long as yours is without it's calamities. Thank God they were minor hiccups and that nothing serious has happened! Having been in the Middle East, I think losing mom's passport, having a camera chip give out & not getting to see 2 sites that would have been magnificent was not so bad. A let down for sure, but at least not a disaster!

Well, Will & I are going to lay a tiny bit of flooring in our pantry & then I have to finish polishing up the house for Katie & Collin's visit this coming Friday. We are certainly looking forward to their week long visit!

Have a wonderful remainder of the trip & keep in touch! I LOVED receiving your phone call earlier this week!!!

xoxo

Shelley

Becky said...

Oh, those pictures of Collonges are so familiar! I spent a week visiting one of my best fiends who was studying there the year I was studying in London. It was midterm break and I spent a week exploring Collonges and Geneva with her and some friends. It was fantastic. We even climbed the mountain one afternoon, and though it almost killed me, it was SO fun, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We also went Sunday morning to the Collonges market. We got a soft goat cheese, a large baguette, and a couple of avocados locally grown. So delicious!

Enjoy your time there!