Friday, August 22, 2008

Arrival at Clachan Seil

Dear Family and Friends,

On this Friday evening, Vonnie and I have arrived at our final, sabbatical, destination: Ardarra Cottage, in the little village of Clachan, on the "wee Isle of Seil". Here we will work, and rest, until it is time to fly home to Milton-Freewater.

This morning we awoke in a guest house in Edinburgh, Scotland, (on a street that seemed to be nothing but old row homes turned into guest houses). We ate a wonderful breakfast before pulling our luggage to Haymarket Train Station, two blocks away, where we boarded a train for Glasgow. Once there, we transferred to the train for Oban, up the green, green, western coast.

In Oban, we stored our luggage and went shopping for our cooking needs, and then took a taxi out to the isle. Once our driver helped us discover the address, we were welcomed by a dear Christian couple who could hardly break away from telling all their adventures in Christian life and ministry both here, and in Oban.

The "cottage" is really a house, duplexed to their house, with a living room (two photos are out of the living room window this Friday evening), kitchen (that's Vonnie putting away groceries), bathroom, laundry room, and two bedrooms (master and guest with bunk beds). I think you can see Vonnie's delight at being here! Believe me, my face mirrors hers!

I just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful Sabbath rest and share the joy of being here.

Ole

PS Now that we're settled for several weeks, and we have good access to the internet, we will continue to post several more areas of interest that we haven't had time to share.

PPS As I work on sermons, I invite anyone reading this from Milton or Blue Mountain Valley Churches to suggest a topic, a Bible story, or a Bible passage you would like to hear me preach on. I won't promise to do it, but I just might :-).

2 comments:

Heather Ann said...

Wow! What a view! Can you really see the mountains and lake from the window? It's amazingly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi, It's Rhonda Dorgan from Lowell, AR by way of Hawthorne, CA, Greeley, CO, Salem, Portland and Vernonia, OR.

I received word of your blog just today from Dorothy Kulisek, who used was my beloved teacher at Castle Valley Academy in Moab, UT. I have enjoyed so much skimming your messages and seeing the pictures. You were truly blessed that you have the chance to travel like that - if there is any contribution I can make to help with expenses, I would like to. You are sharing the blessing with the rest of us and I thank you for that.

I hope you are still enjoying your stay in Milton-Freewater. It's been a long time now (they must like you!! What's not to like?).

Thank you so much for the counselling you gave me when I was in California as a single and married person. I remember especially a counselling session with Vonnie when she had a bad cold, but was still open and loving to my problems. I was just thinking about that the other day and how unfair and rude I was to come in on you like that - but you were truly a lifesaver. I can't thank you enough. I seem to remember a counselling session my husband and I had with Ole when he was suffering from a broken arm, too. Sorry about that - hope it's better now.

I saw a documentary on the Dead Sea a few months ago and it is a facinating place. I am so glad you got to go there. I am thankful you had the Lord's protection and blessing in your travels, given the dangers that are out there. Thank you again for sharing.

Rhonda Martin